Flexibility is a hallmark of PTEE, thus courses offered, class sizes, and locations will differ from site to site based on the needs and interest of students. Students may choose courses according to their interests or they may work systematically toward an academic award, taking courses at a rate that best suits their situation and needs.
Each 12-week PTEE course has two significant parts:
(1) High-quality, culturally relevant, interactive self-study materials are provided and students work through the materials during the week. Students are expected to do approximately 6-8 hours of self-study each week.
(2) An integral part of the extension program is a weekly two-hour seminar with other students and a PTEE qualified facilitator. The facilitator’s role is to lead a discussion of the material studied, help the group to answer each other’s questions, and to help students apply what has been learned within the ministry context of each person.
Select courses also include Practical Ministry Experience opportunities for credit through which students experience direct application of knowledge and theory to a relevant ministry situation, thus developing and strengthening their ministry skills and giftings.
While studying a PTEE course, students are expected to:
- invest 6-8 hours weekly in textbook guided study for a period of twelve weeks.
- gather weekly for the 2-2½ hour facilitator-guided interactive seminar.
- participate in weekly progress assessment exercises.
- successfully complete a final assessment activity (achieving a grade of 70% or above). This may be in the form of a comprehensive exam or project or both.
- work weekly in some church or church-related service activity.
- progress towards the cognitive, affective and behavioral/skill goals of the course.
- deepen their spiritual insight for enhanced ministry preparedness.
Students must pay the cost price of the workbook (photocopying & binding cost) and purchase any additional required textbooks. Local prices for these vary from country to country. In some countries students also pay a basic registration fee for each course. The registration fee is set by each country’s National Committee.